Thursday, August 20, 2009

Get a move on!

I need to be getting more exercise. Walking is good, but I never feel like I'm getting a really good workout when I walk. I have been thinking about doing the C25K program. I've started this so many times in the past, but I never made it past week two. I've never made it past week two because I am lazy and just quit, not because I can't do it!

A couple of years ago I was in the best shape of my life. I don't know why then, something just clicked for me. I worked out at the apartment gym every day after work for at least an hour. I was up to being able to run about 2 miles without stopping, and I've never been a runner! I looked great and I felt even better. But then a few things happened that took me off course, and I've never been able to get back on! Hopefully now is the time.

I do have a treadmill at home, so I think I will start the C25K either tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how I'm feeling. I am still a little leery on running. I had my ACL repaired in my right knee last May, and while I can walk and everything fine (and I played softball this summer), I get a little nervous because I don't want to hurt it again. I will just have to take it slow!

I still plan on walking every night I can, because my little Molly needs to get her energy out somewhere, and she sure loves walks! I can't even say the word or else she's all over me, like, "CMON MOM! Geez! Take me on a walk already!!" Dogs are funny :)

On another note...I was sitting her at work today thinking, "Gosh, I'm really hungry and it's not time for lunch yet, what should I have?" I COULD have gone over to the candy bowl, but instead I ate a cup of applesauce that I keep in my drawer. It's the little things, that was a victory for me and it held me over until lunch, yum!

Have a lovely Thursday everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to give you my perspective on walking for weight loss and fitness. I started out at 305 pounds, and lost 150 pounds. My primary exercise? Walking. Still, 12 years later I mostly walk, although I do run on occasion, knees allowing.

    I think running is wonderful, but walking will get the job done too. I do walk ultra fast - think speed walker!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say have a chat with your doctor or physical therapist about running. If they say it's okay, then you'll probably feel more comfortable doing it, if they say no, then you're far better off knowing now instead of running and actually getting hurt.

    Well done on avoiding the candy bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadley - they've told me it's ok to run, it's just my own quips about it that are stopping me, probably because I've never been a "runner" :)

    Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The C25K program is great if you can get through the first few weeks. At first it's all kinda boring, but the more you do the greater you feel. Stick it out. It will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete